Coronavirus: Oyo govt imposes curfew, bans inter-state travel

82
…Enugu Govt confirms two cases
Imminent shutdown of many states in the country is almost a fait accomplish  as  Oyo  state governments has announced a  dusk to dawn curfew and banned gatherings of more than 10 persons as parts of measures to curb the spread of coronavirus in the state.
In the same vein, Enugu state has assured it’s citizens of adequate measures in place to curb spread of the dreaded disease.
Governor Seyi Makinde disclosed curfew imposed in Oyo  on Friday evening.
In a series of tweets on his official twitter handle, Makinde also suspended all inter-state travel from and into the state, while all markets, except those of perishable food items, would be closed.
He said that impositions would  come into effect on Sunday night of March 29, 2020.
According to the tweets, these measures would be subject to review every week.
The state government took the decisive steps following the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)  announcement of two new cases of coronavirus in the state.
The governor also revealed that 84 Persons of Interest had been identified while contact tracing and collection of samples had commenced.
The governor wrote on his official Twitter page @seyiamakinde: “The state’s diagnostic centre set up in collaboration with the University College Hospital is now ready. The @NCDCgovcertification is still pending but the Director General of NCDC has made a pre-statement about the molecular laboratory in Oyo State.
“The index case remains stable and is still under observation in the isolation unit at Agbami Chest Centre, Jericho. The number of confirmed cases in Oyo State is now three.
“As a result of this, I have directed that the following additional measures be put in place: a dusk to dawn curfew (7 PM to 6 AM); no gatherings of more than 10 people should be held anywhere in Oyo State.
“From Sunday night, March 29, 2020, all markets will be closed except those selling perishable food items.
“Also, inter-state transportation into and out of the state will be suspended except vehicles carrying food items, medical, pharmaceutical and petroleum products. This takes effect from Sunday night, March 29, 2020. All measures will be reviewed on a weekly basis.”
The NCDC on Friday at 11:55p.m. has also reported 11 new cases of COVID-19, totalling confirmed cases 81 cases in the country.
Meanwhile, the Enugu State Government has confirmed two positive cases of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Dr Ifeanyi Agujiobi, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, confirmed the development in a statement in Enugu on Saturday.
“It is important to inform the public that the patients voluntarily contacted the Enugu State Ministry of Health on arrival from the United Kingdom (UK) and requested for the COVID-19 test which came out positive.
“So far, the patients have remained in isolation and the Enugu State Multi Sectoral Rapid Response Team has commenced contact tracing.
“The Enugu State Government expresses her gratitude to these patients who reported to the Enugu State Ministry of Health following the announcement that all returnees from overseas in the last 14 days should report for evaluation.
“We still wish to encourage all those that returned recently from overseas to contact the Enugu State Public Health Department through these dedicated lines – 08182555550 or 09022333833,’’ he said.
The permanent secretary urged the general public not to panic as health personnel have been positioned to respond to the situation.
He called on all residents to observe high level of personal hygiene, maintain the social distance protocol and stay at home.


Reactions to stories published can be sent to us at [email protected]


2 thoughts on “Coronavirus: Oyo govt imposes curfew, bans inter-state travel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *